Friday 18 November 2016

Narrative Perfection... (Kubo and the Two Strings Review)


Now I'm all about games, you probably know this since you came to a blog about video games but I love a good story, in case you didn't realise that. Well you do now. 

I'm also not one for gushing about things. I'm quite negative.

However, I watched a film called "Kubo and the Two Strings" made by the very talented Laika Studios and...wow...

I could leave it there. That's your review. Ok, bye.

I won't though.

This film is almost near perfection to myself. The only problem for me is that I wanted it to be that little bit longer because it was so good. A brilliant "family film" reminiscent of Goonies, Monster House and Jumanji - dealing with the trials, tribulations and emotions of a young one-eyed boy named Kubo (played by the kid who did Rickon Stark who does a phenomenal job). 

His story begins with him looking after his disabled mother. It makes harrowing watching for a kid's film as Kubo feeds her food and she eats; staring out to the ocean from their home with no emotion. Yes; it genuinely goes there and I could not be more proud for the things they attempt to tell in their story with such soul.

Along for the ride are Charlize Theron and Matthew McConaughey who genuinely make you smile and laugh. You feel for these characters.

I want to tell you so much about what happens in this film; but I would be spoiling it. This is a genuinely heart warming experience and I could never call what the next beat of the film would be. I think I only saw one thing coming in the story but for the rest of it, I was so surprised.

Combined with a great soundtrack by Dario Marianelli (V for Vendetta) and gorgeous animation; this is quite the tour de force. I just hope that some day, games can constantly attempt to get to an emotional and hard-hitting level like Kubo and the Two Strings - to feel something genuinely for the characters, the world and the reasons why you're there in the first place.

There are many films and books that can teach you narrative, pacing, plotting and how to create emotion to your prospective viewer but maybe, just maybe, this could be what you should take a look at if you want inspiration.

If you want a story, don't blink - you'll miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment